REU: Research Experiences for Undergraduates
The E3S Research Experiences for Undergraduates (E3S REU) program provides residential research internships in the laboratories of E3S faculty. Participants of this competitive merit-based program undertake cutting edge electrical engineering, material science, physics and chemistry research projects. They also have access to enrichment activities including seminars, field trips, as well as advising on graduate school programs, the application process for fellowships, and a subsidized GRE prep course. The Fall after the completion of the E3S summer internship, participants are expected to continue their Bachelor of Science or Engineering studies and eventually apply for graduate school.
2018 E3S REU Program Dates
June 9 – August 11
Exciting Research Areas
- 9-weeks of research experience
- Hands-on research guided by faculty mentors and graduate students
- Graduate school advising and subsidized GRE prep course
- Guest speakers, lab tours, and field trips
- $4,000 stipend plus room and board (dependent upon selected campus)
- Travel allowance (up to $600)
- Must be a United States citizen, national, or permanent resident to apply. International students are NOT eligible for this program.
- Sophomores, juniors, and non-graduating seniors enrolled in four year colleges and universities in the United States
- Engineering and Physical Science majors
- 3.25 grade point average or higher
- No prior research experience required
- Center’s Research
- Research by past summer interns
- See program flyer
- View this video for more information on the E3S REU program
- View the calendar of activities of past year’s program
To apply to the 2018 E3S REU program:
Complete the on-line application. Click here to apply on-line.
Attach your transcripts, resume, and emails of your recommenders onto the online application form. Download or print the Letter of Recommendation Form. Provide your recommenders the form and in the in the online application, there is a designated section where you put the emails of your recommenders. They will receive an email from Submittable with instructions to submit your letter of recommendation. Please inform them of this process so they will be aware of and also remind them to whitelist Submittable in there emails to prevent it from being spammed.
All applications and letters of recommendations must be received by January 26, 2018. Late and incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Decisions should be emailed by March 31st.
Deadline: Friday, January 26, 2018, 11:59 P.M.
All applications and supporting documents (letters of recommendations, transcripts and resume) must be received by no later than Friday, January 26, 2018.
Late and incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Notification of decisions is expected to be sent in mid to late March.
An application will be reviewed once all required documentation are received.
Questions can be Addressed to:
E3S Education & Outreach Programs
ATTN: Dr. Kedrick Perry, Director of Diversity
University of California
562 Sutardja Dai Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720-1764
Fax: (510) 664-4113