Transfer-to-Excellence Research Experiences for Undergraduates (TTE REU), a competitive merit-based program, seeks to inspire California community college students through research at UC Berkeley so that they will ultimately transfer and complete their Bachelor’s degree in science and engineering. The TTE REU program is a residential program providing nine-weeks of hands-on research experiences in the laboratories of UC Berkeley professors. This program is jointly funded by an NSF Site award and the Center for E3S.
TTE participants also have access to enrichment activities to enhance their overall preparation and confidence to pursue studies in science and engineering and, eventually, a career that applies their technical education. To support program participants continue a science or engineering curriculum at a four-year institution, transfer advising is also provided during and after the internship.
2018 Program Dates
June 8 – August 11
Exciting Research Areas
The TTE Summer Research Program provides research experience for undergraduates (REU) who are enrolled in community colleges. Opportunities currently available are broadly in engineering and science. For more details on possible projects, see past projects and the TTE faculty page.
- TTE Flyer
- Learn about research by past TTE interns
- Calendar of activities of past year’s program
- Attend an online information session to learn more about applying and the program! (Dates: October 25, November 14, December 6, January 12, January 18, All dates are at 12 P.M.)
- 9-week research experience
- Hands-on research guided by faculty sponsors and graduate student mentors
- Seminars on preparing for a career in science and engineering
- Advising and support for transfer to a 4-year institution
- Guest speakers, lab tours, and field trips
- $3,600 stipend plus room and board
- Travel allowance (up to $300)
- Must be a United States citizen, national, or permanent resident to apply. International and AB-540 students are NOT eligible for this program.
- 3.25 grade point average or higher for science, engineering, and math courses
- Enrolled in a California community college at the time of application.
- Completed two calculus courses by June 2018.
- Completed three science or engineering courses, one of which has a laboratory component, by June 2018.
- Plan to return to a community college in California in Fall 2018.
- Plan to apply for transfer admission to a baccalaureate program in science or engineering in Fall 2018.
- No prior research experience required.
Community college students who are the first in their family to go to college, come from low-income backgrounds, are from underserved communities, and/or are women, and/or veterans are encouraged to apply.
To apply to the 2018 TTE REU program:
Complete the on-line application. Click here to apply on-line.
Attach your transcripts, sample work, and emails of your recommenders onto the online application form. Download or print the Letter of Recommendation Form. Provide your recommenders the form and in the in the online application, there is a designated section where you put the emails of your recommenders. They will receive an email from Submittable with instructions to submit your letter of recommendation. Please inform them of this process so they will be aware of and also remind them to whitelist Submittable in there emails to prevent it from being spammed.
All applications and letters of recommendations must be received by January 26, 2018. Late and incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Decisions should be emailed by March 31st.
Deadline: Friday, January 26, 2018, 11:59 P.M.
All applications and supporting documents (letters of recommendations, transcripts and sample work) must be received by no later than Friday, January 26, 2018.
Late and incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Notification of decisions is expected to be sent in mid to late March.
An application will be reviewed once all required documentation are received.
ATTN: Lea Marlor, Associate Director of Education
University of California
300 Sutardja Dai Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720-1764
Phone: (510) 664-4882
Fax: (510) 666-2022