Transfer-to-Excellence Research Experiences for Undergraduates (TTE REU), a competitive merit-based program, seeks to inspire California community college students through research at UC Berkeley so that they will ultimately transfer and complete their Bachelor’s degree in science and engineering. The TTE REU program is a residential program providing nine-weeks of hands-on research experiences in the laboratories of UC Berkeley professors. This program is jointly funded by an NSF Site award and the Center for E3S.
TTE participants also have access to enrichment activities to enhance their overall preparation and confidence to pursue studies in science and engineering and, eventually, a career that applies their technical education. To support program participants continue a science or engineering curriculum at a four-year institution, transfer advising is also provided during and after the internship.
2020 Program Dates
June 12 – August 15
The application for the 2020 cohort will open on Tuesday, October 15th and close on Sunday, February 2nd, 2020.
Exciting Research Areas
The TTE Summer Research Program provides research experience for undergraduates (REU) who are enrolled in community colleges. Opportunities currently available are broadly in engineering and science. For more details on possible projects, see past projects.
- 2020 TTE Program Flyer
- Learn about some of the faculty hosting TTE interns
- 2019 Program Calendar (sample)
- Attend an in-person info session at a community college near you to learn more about the program and applying: Scheduled info sessions.
- Attend an online information session to learn more about the program and applying: RSVP to receive webinar info & link.
- Wednesday, Nov 20, 2019 12-12:45pm
- Tuesday, Dec 10, 2019 8-8:45pm
- Tuesday, Jan 7, 2020 12-12:45pm
- New date & time: Thursday, Jan 16, 2020 7:30-8:15pm
- 9-week research experience
- Hands-on research guided by faculty sponsors and graduate student mentors
- Seminars on preparing for a career in science and engineering
- Advising and support for transfer to a 4-year institution
- Guest speakers, lab tours, and field trips
- $3,600 stipend plus room and board
- Travel allowance (up to $300)
- Participation in UC Berkeley’s Transfer Alliance Project (TAP), and TTE Online Mentoring program upon return to community college.
- United States citizen, national, or permanent resident to apply. Unfortunately, international, DACA, and AB-540 students are not eligible for this program.
- Enrolled in a California community college at the time of application.
- At least eighteen years of age by March 1 2020.
- 3.0 grade point average or higher for science, engineering, and math courses
- Completed two calculus courses by June 2020.
- Completed three science or engineering courses, one of which has a laboratory component, by June 2020.
- Plan to return to a community college in California in Fall 2020.
- Plan to apply for transfer admission to a baccalaureate program in science or engineering in Fall 2020 (for Fall 2021 start).
- No prior research experience required.
Community college students who are the first in their family to go to college, come from low-income backgrounds, are from underserved communities, and/or are women, and/or veterans are encouraged to apply.
Apply to the 2020 TTE Cohort
- Step 1: Download and review the TTE REU Application Packet.This document is provided so that students can preview the application questions and prepare their responses only. All interested students must submit an online application via submittable.com
- Step 2: Complete the online application
- Attach your transcripts, sample work, and emails of two people who can write letters of recommendation for you. Your recommenders will receive an automated email with instructions to submit your letter of recommendation. Please also download or print the Letter of Recommendation Form and give it to them. They need to submit both the form and a letter of recommendation by the February 2nd deadline. Please inform them of this process so they will be aware of and also remind them that they will be receiving an email from either E3S or Submittable with directions on how to submit their letters. If they are not receiving the emails, please have them check their spam/junk folders.
- Students must submit the application in order for Letter of Recommendation notifications to be sent out to your recommenders. We suggest that you give your recommenders as much time as possible to submit, so it is in your best interest to do this application as soon as possible. You will then be able to edit your responses up until the deadline and any information submitted prior to then will not be evaluated.
- Please note that upon initial submission, you will not be able to immediately go back and edit your responses. First it needs to be approved by the Center staff. We approve applications within 36 hours after being submitted, so please check back at a later time in order to edit your responses.
- All applications and letters of recommendations must be received by February 2, 2020. Late and incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Decisions should be emailed by April 2020/,
ATTN: Nicole Evans McIntyre, Associate Director of Education
University of California
300 Sutardja Dai Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720-1764
Phone: (510) 664-4882