Transfer-to-Excellence Research Experiences for Undergraduates (TTE REU), a competitive merit-based program, seeks to inspire California community college students through research at UC Berkeley so that they will ultimately transfer and complete their Bachelor’s degree in science and engineering. The TTE REU program is a residential program providing nine-weeks of hands-on research experiences in the laboratories of UC Berkeley professors. This program is jointly funded by an NSF Site award and the Center for E3S.
TTE participants also have access to enrichment activities to enhance their overall preparation and confidence to pursue studies in science and engineering and, eventually, a career that applies their technical education. To support program participants continue a science or engineering curriculum at a four-year institution, transfer advising is also provided during and after the internship.
2019 Program Dates
June 7 – August 10
Exciting Research Areas
The TTE Summer Research Program provides research experience for undergraduates (REU) who are enrolled in community colleges. Opportunities currently available are broadly in engineering and science. For more details on possible projects, see past projects and the TTE faculty page.
- TTE Flyer
- Learn about research by past TTE interns
- Learn about the faculty hosting TTE interns
- Draft calendar of activities
- Attend an online information session to learn more about applying and the program! (Dates: Wednesday, November 7; Tuesday, November 13; Friday, November 30; Monday, December 3; Friday, January 18; Thursday, January 24, All dates are at 12 P.M.)
- 9-week research experience
- Hands-on research guided by faculty sponsors and graduate student mentors
- Seminars on preparing for a career in science and engineering
- Advising and support for transfer to a 4-year institution
- Guest speakers, lab tours, and field trips
- $3,600 stipend plus room and board
- Travel allowance (up to $300)
- Must be a United States citizen, national, or permanent resident to apply. International and AB-540 students are NOT eligible for this program.
- 3.0 grade point average or higher for science, engineering, and math courses
- Enrolled in a California community college at the time of application.
- Completed two calculus courses by June 2019.
- Completed three science or engineering courses, one of which has a laboratory component, by June 2019.
- Plan to return to a community college in California in Fall 2019.
- Plan to apply for transfer admission to a baccalaureate program in science or engineering in Fall 2019.
- No prior research experience required.
Community college students who are the first in their family to go to college, come from low-income backgrounds, are from underserved communities, and/or are women, and/or veterans are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply to the 2019 TTE REU:
Please Read ALL Steps
- Step 1: Download and Review the TTE REU Application Packet
- Step 2: Complete the online application
- Please submit a draft application with preliminary information in order for Letter of Recommendation notifications to be sent out to your recommenders. We suggest that you give your recommenders as much time as possible to submit, so it is in your best interest to do this draft application as soon as possible. You will be able to edit your responses up until the deadline and any information submitted prior to then will not be evaluated.
- Important: Please note that upon initial submission, you will not be able to immediately go back and edit your responses. First it needs to be approved by the Center staff. We approve applications within 24 hours after being submitted, so please check back at a later time in order to edit your responses.
- Step 3:
- Attach your transcripts, sample work, and emails of your recommenders onto the online application form. Download or print the Letter of Recommendation Form and give this form to your recommenders. There is a designated section where you put the emails of your recommenders. They will receive an email from with instructions to submit your letter of recommendation. They need to submit both the form and a letter of recommendation by the February 1st deadline. Please inform them of this process so they will be aware of and also remind them that they will be receiving an email from either E3S or Submittable with directions on how to submit their letters. If they are not receiving the emails, please have them check their spam/junk folders.
- All applications and letters of recommendations must be received by February 1, 2019. Late and incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Decisions should be emailed by March 31
The deadline for the 2019 TTE REU is February 1st, 2019.
ATTN: Lea Marlor, Associate Director of Education
University of California
300 Sutardja Dai Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720-1764
Phone: (510) 664-4882
Fax: (510) 666-2022