Transfer-to-Excellence Research Experiences for Undergraduates (TTE REU), a competitive merit-based program, seeks to inspire California community college students through research at UC Berkeley so that they will ultimately transfer and complete their Bachelor’s degree in science and engineering. The TTE REU program is a residential program providing nine-weeks of hands-on research experiences in the laboratories of UC Berkeley professors. This program is jointly funded by an NSF Site award and the Center for E3S.
TTE participants also have access to enrichment activities to enhance their overall preparation and confidence to pursue studies in science and engineering and, eventually, a career that applies their technical education. To support program participants continue a science or engineering curriculum at a four-year institution, transfer advising is also provided during and after the internship.
2018 Program Dates
June 9 – August 11
Exciting Research Areas
The TTE Summer Research Program provides research experience for undergraduates (REU) who are enrolled in community colleges. Opportunities currently available are in the following technical areas:
- TTE Flyer
- TTE REU research areas
- Learn about research by past TTE interns
- View this video for more information on the TTE REU Program
- Calendar of activities of past year’s program
- 9-week research experience
- Hands-on research guided by faculty sponsors and graduate student mentors
- Seminars on preparing for a career in science and engineering
- Advising and support for transfer to a 4-year institution
- Guest speakers, lab tours, and field trips
- $3,600 stipend plus room and board
- Travel allowance (up to $250)
- Must be a United States citizen, national, or permanent resident to apply. International and AB-540 students are NOT eligible for this program.
- 3.25 grade point average or higher for science, engineering, and math courses
- Enrolled in a California community college at the time of application.
- Completed two calculus courses by June 2018.
- Completed three science or engineering courses, one of which has a laboratory component, by June 2018.
- Plan to return to a community college in California in Fall 2018.
- Plan to apply for transfer admission to a baccalaureate program in science or engineering in Fall 2018.
- No prior research experience required.
Community college students who are the first in their family to go to college, come from low-income backgrounds, are from underserved communities, and/or are women, and/or veterans are encouraged to apply.
Application for the 2018 Program
Application process will be opening soon!
ATTN: Lea Marlor, Associate Director of Education
University of California
266 Sutardja Dai Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720-1764
Phone: (510) 664-4882
Fax: (510) 666-2022