Transfer-to-Excellence Research Experiences for Undergraduates (TTE REU), a competitive merit-based program, seeks to inspire California community college students through research at UC Berkeley so that they will ultimately transfer and complete their Bachelor’s degree in science and engineering. The TTE REU program is a residential program providing nine-weeks of hands-on research experiences in the laboratories of UC Berkeley professors. TTE participants also have access to enrichment activities to enhance their overall preparation and confidence to pursue studies in science and engineering and, eventually, a career that applies their technical education. This program is jointly funded by an NSF Site award and the Center for E3S.
Exciting Research Areas
The TTE Summer Research Program provides research experience for undergraduates (REU) who are enrolled in community colleges. Opportunities currently available are broadly in engineering and science. For more details on possible projects, see past projects.
- 2021 TTE Flyer
- Read about the many successes of the 2019 cohort
- Learn about some of the faculty hosting TTE interns
- 2019 Program Calendar (sample of in-person program)
- 2020 Program Calendar (sample of online program)
- View a recorded info session here.
- 9-week research experience
- Hands-on research guided by faculty sponsors and graduate student mentors
- Seminars on preparing for a career in science and engineering
- Advising and support for transfer to a 4-year institution
- Guest speakers, lab tours, and field trips
- $3,600 stipend plus room and board
- Travel allowance (up to $300)
- Participation in UC Berkeley’s Transfer Alliance Project (TAP), and TTE Online Mentoring program upon return to community college.